sometimes people ask me how i know what to put in a salad or a dressing or a smoothie. my motto? anything and everything. in fact: we were discussing this very issue a few weeks ago when an older woman interrupted our conversation with:
"salads are amazing because you can throw anything from the fridge in the bowl and call it a salad"
wise words lady.
tonight i was craving grapes and lentils which was especially weird because i don't typically eat either of those things. a quick trip to the grocery store on my way home and some random fridge inspiration resulted in one of the best light dinner-snacks i've had in a very long time. you could eat a bigger portion to make this a full on meal or just eat it as a snack or a side dish. just don't be afraid to throw a few more things from your fridge into the bowl and see what happens.
here's what i did:
- 5-6 red organic globe grapes, quartered + de-seeded
- 1/3 cup cooked truRoots organic sprouted green lentils (these things cooked in 5 minutes! amazing!)
- 1 tbsp shredded good-quality parmesan cheese
- 4-5 chopped brazil nuts
- a dash of sriracha salt (or plain sea salt and maybe a swig of your chili flake grinder)
- a dash of good quality olive oil
- a dash of good quality balsamic vinegar
add the first 4 ingredients to the bowl. top with the salt, oil & vinegar and you've got dinner in a bowl in 7 minutes flat.